Friday, April 13, 2007

Odaiba Part 1

I went with a friend from New Zealand and his parents to Odaiba, which is the large part of land off Tokyo's port which is all reclaimed land, and has some huge buildings on it.

Before that I thought i'd post some random pictures i've taken of the area about my lodge. Its robally the a more surburban type area of Tokyo.

This is my lodge's lounge, its not much but nice place to meet the other new students:


Heres the crossing to the train tracks:



This is the street just before the train station:


Oks, so Odaiba! I was being taken around buy this group:

Thats Barry, Mum, and Tim.

First we walked to a shopping mall called `Venus Fort` (they have really weird names here) - this mall has a roof that changes depending on the weather outside which is pretty cool. Heres the welcome sign - waiting for next time!



And heres what the roof looked like from inside (it was sunny outside):



And the place is full of touristy type expensive brand shops:



and a hat shop!



After looking at a few of the shops, we decided to get some food. We got Japanese style omletes, which are made with rice and noodles and sauces and some meat. It was a lot nicer than it sounded/looked! I forgot to get a picture of them even thou I told myself I was going to 1min before they came out, but heres a picture of the restaurant! (it was a large shared table)

After that we looked through he Toyota show room, which was just historic things, I got some cool photos of the cars, and a random wall with this written on it which I didn't quite understand (but you get that a lot here):



After that we decided to have a look at the 'chair of happiness', which promised:

And, heres me on the chair of happiness!:

After that moment of feeing slightly cheesy we decided to leave and to go check out the Toyota showcase building, which had all their latest designs and things. I'll put that in another post cause theres heaps more pictures and I want to get this one up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Photo of the roof inside looks cool - you'd almost think it was outside looking into the sky - you dont look too happy in the chair of happiness. LOL seems all is going well. Later

Errol said...

That roof is pretty cool, although if it's just simulating the outside sky, maybe it would have been cheaper to use glass?

I would have expected at least a smile on the happiness chair. Otherwise it's just a chair.